Sunday, March 27, 2011

People Need to Write

I'm getting ready to teach another series of creative writing classes. I call them "Word Play / Word Power." Even though the name never changes, the classes are different each time.

I try to meet students where they are -- and they are many places. Currently I have a student interested in mysteries, another one swimming through the waves of spirituality, a former MFA student who writes exquisitely but wants the steadiness of exercises... and on and on.

How critical it is for all of them, every single person, to have a chance for expression. These are not necessarily students that would define themselves as writers, so many don't even know they have something to say. Most don't realize that their stories are, in some way, universal.

For the first class, people are often shy... or maybe it is better defined as "careful." I ask for volunteers to read and everyone holds back. If I've learned names, I call on someone. I gently pull the words from them into the room.

But by class two... wow! completely different scenario. They are now, hands raised, ready....  desperate, even.

It's wonderful to watch the transformation - and to provide the place to make it possible.

Next post - more on "Word Play"

No comments:

Post a Comment