Friday, March 18, 2011

One Day Before the Performance

Another one of the photos on display at the National Hispanic Cultural Center.
This one was taken by Soledad Cordoba. It is one of several that still
 haunts me with its beauty and strangeness.
I keep thinking about the Women and Women performance at the National Hispanic Cultural Center. I suspect the audience will feel like they are sitting inside a stereo system, and the sounds will be soothing and difficult and, above all, thought-provoking.

Using primarily our voices - both words and sounds, Jamie Figueroa, Valerie Martinez, Shelle Sanchez and I intend to give the multiphonic experience of really looking at the photos, of deconstructing them into the main character, or the woman shooting the photo, or someone else observing. And then, we move away from that, and talk instead about us, and how each photo affects us.

We've rehearsed and rearranged our script several times now. Sometimes I recognize what I wrote; other times, I've taken ownership of someone else's words, the words I'll be saying. I know enough of the script to feel comfortable with it, not enough for it to be stale.

The flow is remarkable.

It's heady stuff - writing about women, with other women, until you don't know - exactly - which of the many voices are truly yours.


Five Poets Respond to "Women & Women," Photographs by Spanish Women
Saturday, March 19 , 2011
6:30 pm
Domenici Education Center
Free


No comments:

Post a Comment